The fundamental drivers of economic growth during the last two centuries have always been technological innovations. The most impactful are what economists call general-purpose technologies, such as the steam engine, electricity, and the internal combustion engine.
According to the Harvard Business Review post, The Business of Artificial Intelligence:
"The most important general-purpose technology of our era is artificial intelligence, particularly machine learning — that is, the machine’s ability to keep improving its performance without humans having to explain exactly how to accomplish all the tasks it’s given. Within just the past few years machine learning has become far more effective and widely available. We can now build systems that learn how to perform tasks on their own."
Another good AI primer from Global X, Artificial Intelligence, Explained discusses the difference between artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning.
More basic AI overviews:
- Forbes: The Complete Beginner's Guide to AI
- IBM: A Beginner's Guide to Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Cognitive Computing
- Wharton: What’s Behind the Hype About Artificial Intelligence?
- Wharton: Why AI is the New Electricity
- BCG: Competing in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
- Bloomberg: A New Era: Artificial Intelligence Is Now The Biggest Tech Disrupter
- Accenture: What is Artificial Intelligence?
- Expedia: Exploring Artificial Intelligence via Natural Language Processing
- World Economic Forum: AI and Robotics
From Recast, UX and AI: The New Best Friends states: "The recent explosion of artificial intelligence was caused by the convergence of big data and the augmentation of computational power leading to machine learning, natural language processing and speech recognition.”
The post suggests: "AI is a matter of UX above all." It includes a few examples of how AI is being used today and why "it might be UX's new best friend when it comes to humanizing the customer experience and building a smart product."
A good example of that in action is Alibaba's new FashionAI platform: Alibaba’s AI Fashion Consultant Helps Achieve Record-Setting Sales
"AI is a matter of UX above all."